I'll explain. There are a fair amount of beggars around here. Not so much that it's a nuisance but enough that they are hard to ignore. Some of them really look like they need help and others not so much. We had also been warned of potential Fagan (oliver twist) type setups where the money you give possibly just goes round the corner into somebody else's hands. We'd decided our general policy was going to be that we didn't give money out of the car window or to little hands following us on the street but it was oh so hard to ignore some of them. Especially when a woman with a tiny little baby would appear at the car window and put her hand to her mouth....i couldn't help it and eventually I confess that I had a few regulars. Anyhoo...we eventually decided we'd make up some food parcels and hand those out instead. That way the people who truly needed to be on the street corner begging would be grateful and we wouldn't feel awful for ignoring all beggars just to avoid those who may not really be wanting.
It's been interesting.
It started with huge sacks of onions, potatoes, garlic and rice in the extra bedroom. We (I) then divided it all up into smaller bags. Lots and lots and lots of smaller bags. Filled little bags with rice and added those to the veggie bags and then every few days we throw a couple in the car so that we can hand them out. I don't know if word got round but we don't seem so popular anymore and we've flippin' loads of these bloody bags left. We've taken to sending at least a couple home with the driver and nanny every week as we head off soon and there's still a bedroom full of the stuff.
The monks often approach the car with their little bowls. Traditionally they are looking for food which you are supposed to place in the bowl but more often people place money in the bowls. I have to say that one or two (not all) of the monks have looked a little less than enthusiastic when i hand the bag out the window rather than some cash. To be fair...these bags are a little on the heavy side and it wouldn't be the handiest thing to carry round if you're out for the day!Two tiny little filthy dirty boys came up to me as i was getting back in the car one day and I handed out the last bag i had in there. They looked at the bag then looked back at me and asked in perfect English "do we have to share it?" It was the note of disgust in his voice that amused me... The bag was almost bigger and heavier than he was!
Don heads to church on sundays and takes some with him and he has some faithful fans who are always waiting for their bag and always appear happy to have it. I have a feeling that this Sunday those 3 women might be getting a bumper delivery of pink plastic bags!
3 comments:
All together now..."beggers can't be choosers" You're doing a wonderful thing and I am inspired!
i am inspired, too! what an awesome idea, a great story. thanks for sharing it.
Now I feel guilty for handing over cans of hominy, sardines and other unmentionable canned foods when The Northwest Harvest is looking for food donations. You'd kicked me in the butt. I can see that the very least I can do is part with some premium soup and canned fruits and veggies.
Post a Comment