I've only realised it recently but I don't like the word 'NO!'
I don't like it in many contexts but the one to which I refer today is when other people shout it at my wee man.
'NO!' is different for an older child because you can follow it up with explanations and reasons for whatever restriction you're imposing. However, with an 11 month old (or younger) it doesn't really carry a load of weight.
I think it's more the volume and intonation. If you shouted "nail brush" with the same force it'd mean as much.
What I mostly have issue with is the over use of the word. I like to save it for, well, special occassions. For example, when he's juggling knives or swimming in the toilet.
Of course I say it and I say it several times through a day but I'll be right there to remove the tiny menace from the situation or to remove the situation from him and then I'll move on to some kind of distraction. Play a game, sort out a snack, change rooms, go outside...whatever.
We've had a few house guests recently and over the festive period have done a little bit of visiting. What I became aware of was how often people sat exactly where they were and just repeatedly screamed "NO!" across the room at the little lad.
"Noooooo!"
"NO no no no no no!"
"NO! STOP IT! NO! NO!"
But does anybody get up and move the loaded gun from his reach? Does anybody pick him up and move him or give him a toy to distract him? NO! They do not. NO! NO! NO!
Enough.
Vent over. Thankyou muchly.
1 comment:
I understand totally. "No" bears no meaning unless you follow through. Especially at the age our little ones are. I use it many times a day too, but with little Cally, it's always a bit more sing songy, you know? It's certainly hard to deal with other people doing the discipline, especially if they've been out of touch with one so young to remember that it's all about redirecting them. Glad you had a vent. Love the bump pic. More please. xo
Post a Comment