Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Laundry

You'd imagine that discovering you have no washing machine and that somebody else will have to do all your washing for the next 3 months would make you happy happy happy.

Mostly it does make my happy happy happy.

Mostly it did.

Yesterday I called down to reception to ask what the procedure was for sending the laundry out. We each said laundry and few times and then I hung up. Roughly 26 seconds later there was a knock on the door and somebody was waiting to collect my laundry. I explained I wasn't quite ready yet. Another 5 minutes passed and another knock. I was all sorted by now. List complete. Washing sorted and bagged. I tried to hand it over at the door but no no no. The two ladies came in (i thought it was just to chat to Cushla) but they had purpose. They marched to the dining table with my bags of dirty washing and poured it all out! I asked what they were doing and both turned and announced "checking".
I was mortified! I know what you're thinking and yes it had occurred to me that i could wash my own undergarments in the sink but rather than have them draped all over the bathroom for two days drying i thought I'd just pop them in the laundry bag and magic them away to be cleaned. I had to turn away as I watched them make a little pile of my dirty knickers and likewise for Don's. Are you feeling my pain/shame?! I'm a pregnant woman who had around 14 hours travelling time before I arrived here...those were in the pile too!!

I recovered when mere hours later all the washing appeared back in the bedroom clean and lovely. Maybe I can get used to this. Maybe I will wash my own intimate apparel now though.
Jeepers. Can't believe I've been here less than a week, this is only my second post and i'm blogging about feckin laundry! Cabin fever much?! Wait....I even have a photo...



3 comments:

emily said...

ah ha! nothing better than a new blog to read, especially that of a dear friend to norbyah. i've heard so much about you, and enjoyed your comments in years past on being bugsie. i'm pleased to "meet" you here, and i'm looking forward to reading more!!!

CheleTales said...

So jealous. I need a laundry service. I swear we have two full loads each week. Altough the bit about washing dirty knickers in the sink reminds me so much of our three weeks in Eastern Europe last summer living out of our backpacks. Ah good times.

Keep it coming. Love hearing what's going on with you.

Norbyah said...

bloody hilarious gilly. love the bump picture too. funny how differently women carry babies - i am so low like a basketball. so round it looks fake. you look great.