Wednesday, October 7, 2009

the advertisement

There is a TV ad around at the moment for those Nescafe instant coffee drinks. Ye know the kind, add the boiling water to the powder and poof! instant latte or mocha or whatever?

It's bothering me. The woman in the ad is obviously a mum at home. (There aren't any kids in the ad but there are baskets of toys in the background) She's curled up on the sofa watching TV and during the ad break she scoots into the kitchen to make herself a coffee and she says to the camera "even when the clock is ticking I always have time for....... blah blah blah" Seriously...is the clock ticking? You're watching TV in the middle of the day. There don't appear to be any children hanging from your legs, arms, hips or nipples. Your house looks spotless, your hair is done and you're fully made up. There is no clock ticking for you!!

Luckily for our time challenged friend she makes it back to the sofa just as her talk show returns. Phew! It's possible I'm a little jealous of the fake mummy in the coffee ad. I'm big enough to admit that. Doesn't stop me wishing she'd spill her coffee, smudge her make-up and that her six kids would suddenly appear from wherever she's hidden them.

I saw this ad while watching Ellen. In the middle of the day. Drinking tea. The kids are asleep. I have no make up on, my hair is doing it's best impression of an afro, there are toys everywhere, the nappy bin is overflowing. Clocks are ticking all over the house!

No comments: